Complete these program requirements to earn a Surgical Technology A.A.S. Degree at Northland.
Individuals who intend to apply to the program must:
1. Students achieving assessment scores below the established minimums must register and successfully complete (with a grade of C or better) the required developmental courses in order to meet graduation requirements. The college minimum scores for the Next Generation Accuplacer Assessment test are as follows:
Advanced Algebra and Functions: 250 (College Algebra) OR Advanced Algebra and Functions: 230 (Contemporary Math) OR Quantitative Reasoning, Algebra and Statistics: 250 (Contemporary Math)
2. Complete all required developmental and general education courses before beginning the final program semester.
3. The program requires students to have current working knowledge of required sciences. Courses older than 5 years may not be accepted for transfer into the program: BIOL 2221, BIOL 2260, BIOL 2262, HLTH 1106, HLTH 2002, HLTH 2208. This may be waived if an applicant has recent experience working or education in the health — science fields.
4. SURT 1102 Intro to Surgical Tech is offered in an online format only. Check the Distance Education schedule when registering.
5. Current CPR certification. CPR for Health Care Providers (American Heart Association) or CPR for Professional Rescuer (Red Cross) prior to the start of the fall semester of the second year of the Surgical Technology Program. Certification must be kept current for the duration of enrollment in this program.
6. Completion of the College Health Screening & Immunization information requirements through Castle Branch (cost $45) prior to the beginning of the final fall semester.
7. Completion and approval for clinical participation of the Minnesota Department of Humans Services Licensing Division Background Study and fingerprinting (cost is $10.50). Completion and approval for clinical participation of a National Background Study through Castle Branch. Cost $45.75 first year, $26 second year (if needed).