Veteran Services

Veterans Resource Center

The Veterans Resource Center is your one-stop shop for all military benefits. You may be eligible for the GI Bill® or other military education benefits if you are a veteran. You may also be eligible for disability services, personal counseling, tutorial assistance, financial aid, or VA-funded work-study.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website.

Serving Our Military and Veteran Students

Northland provides service members, veterans, and military families with the flexibility and convenience needed to achieve their educational goals.

The Veterans Certifying Official or the Higher Education Veterans Programs Regional Coordinator is available to guide you as you apply for your military education benefits. You may also be eligible for disability services, counseling, tutorial assistance, financial aid, or VA-funded work-study. We want to make sure you get all the benefits to which you are entitled. The Veterans Resource Center provides a place for study and to socialize with fellow veterans. Northland complies with Minnesota Statute 197.775 which exceeds all criteria of Title 38 United States Code Section 3679(e).

The application process to Northland involves two main steps:

  1. Apply to Northland
  2. Apply for your military education benefits.

Apply for Military Education Benefits

Transfer Credit Information

Recent legislation in Minnesota requires Minnesota State Colleges and Universities to review military academic transcripts and give appropriate credit based on the American Council on Education (ACE) recommendations. To get your official military transcripts, visit:

Chapter 33 GI Bill® Program

Chapter 33 – The Post 9/11 GI Bill® provides financial support for education and housing to individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service on or after September 11, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days.

Below are descriptions of each of the military education benefits:

This is the “active duty” Montgomery GI Bill®. It provides up to 36 months of education benefits to eligible veterans. Active duty members pay in $100 per month for 12 months to receive the benefit. The benefit is scaled based on the number of credits taken.

This is the Vocational Rehabilitation program. The veteran must have service connected disabilities to apply for the benefit.

This is the predecessor to the Chapter 30 benefit. To be eligible for this program the veteran must have entered service for the first time between January 1, 1977, and June 30, 1985.

This is the Survivors and Dependants education benefits. Dependents’ Educational Assistance provides education and training opportunities to eligible dependents of certain veterans. The program offers up to 45 months of education benefits.

The Montgomery GI Bill® – Selected Reserve program may be available to you if you are a member of the Selected Reserve. The Selected Reserve includes the Army Reserve, Navy Reserve, Air Force Reserve, Marine Corps Reserve, Coast Guard Reserve, and the Army National Guard and the Air National Guard. Generally, this is the educational benefit for soldiers who have not been deployed.

Montgomery GI Bill® – REAP – It is a Department of Defense education benefit program designed to provide educational assistance to members of the Reserve components called or ordered to active duty in response to a war or national emergency (contingency operation) as declared by the President or Congress. The Department of Defense and the Department of Homeland Security will determine who is eligible for this program.

Minnesota State Tuition Reimbursement (STR) will pay for 100% of your tuition (not including student fees) and will pay up to the undergraduate rate at the University of Minnesota and up to 144 semester or 208 quarter credits.

This benefit may be used in conjunction with GI Bill® and Federal Tuition Assistance. This benefit is available to members of the Minnesota National Guard and Minnesota Air National Guard.

Federal Tuition Assistance (FTA) will pay up to a set amount per Army fiscal year (Oct – Sept) in tuition expenses including student fees. This benefit is may be used in conjunction with the GI Bill® and State Tuition Reimbursement (see attached letter for conditions). Please note this is not a guaranteed benefit. This program has a finite budget and is paid on a first come, first serve basis. Please apply early. You may apply for these benefits within 30 days of your semesters/quarters start date.

This program is available to drilling members of the Army National Guard or Army Reserve. In order to receive payment for a course, the course must be completed prior to your separation from any of the above mentioned military components. You may start receiving FTA benefits the day you enlist. FTA can be reimbursed for out of state institution tuition. Remember you must be an active member of the Guard or Reserve.

This benefit is paid up-front. You are required to earn a “C” or better in your classes, or in the event of a class taken pass/fail you must “pass”. Failure to earn a “C” or better or ‘pass” may result in repayment of FTA.

Federal Tuition Assistance

The Federal Tuition Assistance (TA) program pays the cost of tuition and some additional fees. Nearly all Active Duty, Reserve, or Guard members are eligible for FTA. However, each service branch determines eligibility criteria that often reduce access. FTA covers up to 100 percent of tuition and fees, not to exceed $250 per semester credit hour or $4,000 per fiscal year, with a maximum of 16 credits.

All active duty service members (including Guard and Reserve) must contact their education service officer or education counselor within your branch of service prior to enrolling in any college or university.

Federal Tuition Assistance application procedures for military services:

Minnesotans’ Military Appreciation Fund

The Minnesota Military Appreciation Fund is a fund established by private residents of Minnesota to thank Minnesota service members for their service. The MMAF will provide $250 — $500 to all Minnesota military personnel who have served in a combat zone since September 11, 2001. They will increase the amount of the award to Purple Heart recipients and to the families of those killed in action. See eligibility criteria below.

  • Minnesota taxpaying residents on active military duty
  • Minnesota taxpaying residents assigned to Reserve or Guard units located outside of Minnesota
  • Non-Minnesota taxpayers assigned to a Minnesota Reserve or Guard Unit Member of one of the above-mentioned groups who served after September 11, 2001, and was honorably discharged

Minnesota Educational Assistance for War Orphans

Qualified war orphans may receive up to $750 a year from the Minnesota Department of Veterans Affairs to be used for tuition, books, supplies, board and room.

To be eligible for this program, you must have lost your veteran parent through death because of a service-caused condition and have been a resident of Minnesota for two years prior to your application for educational benefits.

Children of deceased veterans also may qualify for free tuition at the University of Minnesota and the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities, until they earn a bachelor’s degree. This does not apply to private institutions.

For more information, students should contact the financial aid office at the school they attend or plan to attend, their county Veterans Service Officer at the County Courthouse, or:

Minnesota Department of Veterans Affairs
Veterans Service Building, 2nd Floor
20 West 12th Street
St. Paul, MN 55155
Tel: (651) 296-2562

Minnesota GI Bill®

The Minnesota GI Bill® program provides assistance to eligible Minnesota Veterans currently serving military, National Guard, and Reserve members who served after September 11, 2001, as well as eligible spouses and children. The Program provides a maximum benefit of $15,000. Eligible participants can use the benefit in Higher Education, On-the-job training (OJT)/Apprenticeship, or License and Certification. For eligibility requirements and further information, please visit the Minnesota Department of Veterans Affairs Benefits & Resources.

You can now complete your application in any order, save your work, and get back to it later – even from a different computer! Check your application over carefully before sending it.

Please note the following:

  • Upon submitting your application, you will be informed of additional requirements to complete your admission. Be sure to fulfill these requirements and submit your application by the posted deadlines.
  • You will receive an email notification with your Student ID number.
  • Click the “Start Online Application for Admission” button below to begin.

Have you already started the Online Application Process?
To view all the applications you have started or submitted to any system school or if you want additional applications, sign in to your account now.

Request an official high school transcript or GED to be sent directly to Northland admissions. Some high schools require a consent of release form to be signed before your transcript is released. Please check with your high school to find out what they require. For a GED transcript, please do an online search for a transcript request for (the state in which you received your GED). Follow the directions to have a copy sent to Northland admissions.

Steps to Enroll

1. Send Northland Your College Transcripts (including military courses)

Send a college transcript release form to ALL prior colleges you have attended, including military courses. Many colleges require a fee prior to mailing out an official transcript. You may wish to contact the college(s) you have attended to inquire about a possible transcript fee.

2. Contact Northland admissions to inquire if an assessment is required.

3. Complete the Immunization Form

The Immunization Record for Students Attending Post-Secondary Schools in Minnesota form is designed to provide the school with information required by law and will be available for review by the Minnesota Department of Health and the local community health agency. Minnesota law (M.S. 135A.14) requires proof that all students born after 1956 are vaccinated against diphtheria, tetanus, measles, mumps, and rubella, allowing for certain specified exemptions.

4. Complete an Out of State Reciprocity Application Form

5. File for Financial Aid

You may also apply for financial aid online. The Federal Financial Aid school code number for the East Grand Forks and Thief River Falls campuses for financial aid purposes is 002385.

6. Apply for Eligible Benefit Programs

Visit the Certifying Official at Northland to apply for eligible programs. Bring copies of your DD-214 and VONAPP applications if you applied for benefits online.

7. Apply for the Montgomery GI Bill®

  • Apply for the Montgomery GI Bill®. Bring your DD-214, enlistment contract, NOBE,& Kicker contract (if appropriate) to Northland.
  • Learn more about applying for the Montgomery GI Bill®.

8. Apply for Federal & State Tuition Reimbursement

Apply for Federal Tuition Assistance and State Tuition Reimbursement (if applicable).

Contact Us

East Grand Forks Campus

Photo of Corina Feist

Corina Feist

Financial Aid Advisor/Veteran Certifying Official

  • 218.793.2391
Photo of Heather Nelson

Heather Nelson

Financial Aid Advisor

  • 218.793.2392

Thief River Falls Campus

Photo of Lisa Bottem

Lisa Bottem

Financial Aid Director

  • 218.683.8544

Northwest Regional Coordinator

Tony Schnellbach, MSW
Northwest District Veterans Assistance Coordinator
Office: 218-755-2230
Cell: 218-208-7544