Allied Health & Human Services

The Allied Health and Human Services Division provide instruction in more than a dozen high-demand career programs that range from one-semester certificates to two-plus-year AAS degrees. These career programs include a wide variety of choices, including careers in direct patient care, diagnostic support fields, therapeutic care, emergency services, and early childhood education.

ProgramCreditsLength of study *DegreesSelective Admission?Program director
Dietetic Technician675 semestersA.A.S.NoAngie Brekken
Early Childhood Education604 semestersA.S.NoMarie Remz
Fire Technology604 semestersA.A.S.NoCharles Marcott
Paramedic604 semestersA.A.S.NoKelly Mikkelsen
Nursing (RN)
Practical Nursing
Nursing Assistant
4 semesters
2 semesters
1 semester
Kari Koenig (RN)
Lisa Anderson (PN)
Occupational Therapy Assistant725 semestersA.A.S.NoErica Young
Pharmacy Technology
Pharmacy Technology
Pharmacy Technology

5 semesters
3 semesters
Danika Johnson
Phlebotomy161 semesterCertificateNoDebra Beland
Physical Therapist Assistant745 semestersA.A.S.YesJustin Berry
Radiologic Technology826 semestersA.A.S.YesDebra Beland
Respiratory Therapy785 semestersA.A.S.NoHeather Koland
Surgical Technology604 semestersA.A.S.NoDawn Williams

* Program duration does not include time for students to complete pre-admission requirements.

Fastest Growing Occupations (2012-2022)

RankOccupation% Growth Expected
2Personal Care Aides49%
3Home Health Aides48%
6Diagnostic Medical Sonographers46%
8Occupational Therapy Assistants43%
9Genetic Counselors41%
10Physical Therapist Assistants41%
11Physical Therapist Aides40%
12Skincare Specialists40%
13Physician Assistants38%
17Occupational Therapy Aides36%
19Medical Secretaries36%
20Physical Therapists36%
(U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics)

Frequently Asked Questions

The student will be notified of the necessary timeline for background completion. The student completes an application, and Northland applies for the study from the Minnesota Department of Human Services. Students are required to have criminal background verification annually. The results of these studies must be on file at Northland prior to beginning clinical experiences. Students will complete the appropriate form, and Northland will apply for the study from the Minnesota Department of Human Services.

The following Northland Health & Human Service programs currently require students to complete a criminal background study prior to clinical placement:

  • Dietetic Technician
  • Early Childhood & Education
  • Fire Technology
  • Nursing (ADN & PN)
  • Occupational Therapy Assistant
  • Paramedicine
  • Pharmacy Technology
  • Phlebotomy
  • Physical Therapist Assistant
  • Radiologic Technology
  • Respiratory Therapist
  • Surgical Technology

Yes. Students enrolled in Health and Human Service programs are required to complete the Immunization & Data Tracking, Background & CPR Entry. *Failure to complete the required form will affect students’ ability to participate in clinical experiences.*

The immunization information you provided during the application process to the college included only information about Tetanus-diphtheria and MMR immunizations. Completion of the Immunization & Data Tracking, Background & CPR Entry actually is asking for immunization data for additional vaccine-preventable diseases (such as Chicken Pox or Varicella) and for documentation about current tuberculosis screening.

All students in health occupation courses who will be in direct patient contact are required to have documented evidence of current immunizations against a range of diseases and must pass an annual tuberculosis screening before beginning their clinical experience. The Health Screening Data requirements are in place to protect the health of students, patients, employees and others, and to comply with standards established by the affiliated healthcare providers at which students will be assigned during clinical rotations.  These requirements are modeled after the requirements that clinical or healthcare facilities currently have in place for their employees based on U.S. Center for Disease Control Recommendations for Health Care Workers.

Your personal physician should have a record of your last tetanus/diphtheria booster and whether you have had the hepatitis B series. Often parents remember, even if you do not, if you have had chickenpox. About 90% of college students have had the disease, and those students do not need the varicella vaccination. If you or your parents do not remember whether you have had chickenpox, your physician may want to order a blood test to determine whether you have had chickenpox.

The information submitted will be treated as a confidential record, like your academic records. The only individuals who will have access to your immunization record and health screening data are those who need to handle or see it in the context of documenting your compliance with the college health screening requirements for clinical course placement.

Contact your personal healthcare provider (your doctor or clinic) or the county health department with questions about your immunizations or tuberculosis screening. College personnel, including faculty, are not qualified to answer questions specific to your immunization status and tuberculosis screening needs.

Questions about the selective admission processes for programs in the Allied Health and Human Services Division should be directed to the program director for the program of interest.