information icon

Registration for Fall 2024 classes is now open. You can register today!

International Student Application

International students are those who do not have US citizenship, permanent residency, or refugee or political asylum status. International students must complete the International Student Admissions process, including the special international student application. They also must meet academic, English proficiency, immunization, certification of finances, and health insurance requirements.

Need to Know

Deadline dates for priority processing of the I-20 are:

  • Fall Term: June 1
  • Spring Term: November 1
  • Summer Term: March 1

Northland Community & Technical College will NEVER charge an international applicant for creating an I-20 or other documents they may need for the international application process. Note that other agencies may charge fees for translation services or evaluation of transcripts.

At this point in time, Northland Community and Technical College is not approved to host international students wanting to complete programs that are offered completely online or certificate programs.

Admissions Procedure

The following outlines the procedure required to complete the International Student Application to Northland Community & Technical College. Before an I-20 (F-1 or M-1) can be issued, international students must be admitted to Northland by completing the following four requirements:

  • Complete Part 1 of the application, which includes: personal information, permanent address, phone number, E-mail address, and citizenship information. International students must select the option International Visa Holder or Seeker on the application.
  • Complete Part 2, which includes the required international information and the rest of the application.

The minimum academic requirement is graduation from an accredited secondary school or its equivalent. Applicants must arrange for the campus admissions office to receive official academic records from all secondary and post-secondary institutions attended. Detailed official records of courses taken, marks received and examinations passed must be sent directly to Northland from the examination council or educational authority. Records must also include diplomas, degrees, or other certificates received.

If documents are not in English, all records must be translated into English and submitted with a copy of the original document that is in the native language. This translation has to be certified by a school or public official as a true copy and translation of the original document. This copy is in addition to the original record sent directly to Northland by all colleges/universities attended.

This college reserves the right to determine the appropriateness of the certification and does not ordinarily return certificates and/or records. Some documents may be sent to authorities for verification of authenticity. When there is a charge for verification of authenticity, the applicant is responsible for those charges.

English language proficiency results must be sent to Northland from the agency or college awarding the score, level, or college credit. The following are measures that can be used:

  • TOEFL (Test of English Foreign Language) score of 500 or higher (paper), 173 or higher (computer), 61 or higher (internet), or
  • IELTS (International English Language Testing System) band score of 5.5 or higher
  • Completion of Level 109 of an approved ELS Language Center, or
  • The recent completion of a college-level composition course with a grade of “C” or better from a United States college/university

Complete and return the Northland Immunization Record. Minnesota law requires that all students born after 1956 and enrolled in a public or private post-secondary school in Minnesota be immunized against diphtheria, tetanus, measles, mumps, and rubella, allowing for certain specified exceptions. This information will be available for review by the Minnesota Department of Health and the local community health board.

Admissions Process Checklist

Download and print the Northland International Student Admissions Process Checklist.

Documents Required to be Issued an I-20

The passport must be submitted to ensure name is properly entered on the I-20 to be issued.

The Certification of Finances document must be submitted by all students who would like an F-1 or M-1 student visa while attending Northland. Students must provide documentation specifying sponsorship, funding or support for all educational and living expenses. Supporting documentation such as a bank statement or a letter from the sponsor’s bank must accompany the above documents. Financial or bank documents must be translated into English.

The health insurance cost is included in the cost of attendance and is listed on the Certification of Finances. Health insurance is required as a condition for enrollment for all international students attending Northland. All international students are required to purchase the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities international student accident and illness insurance plan found at the United Healthcare website (click on the Find My School’s Plan link, type in Minnesota Community & Technical College, click on Minnesota Community & Technical College, click on International Plan information at the bottom of the page), unless they can provide documentation that their government or sponsoring agency is covering them under a plan provided by their government or sponsoring agency. Northland is not responsible for any bills due to illness or injury.

Payment of Sevis (I-901) Fee

After receiving the I-20, payment of a SEVIS (I-901) fee is required. The fee is charged to students or exchange visitors tracked in SEVIS for covering the costs of administering and maintaining SEVIS, which includes ensuring compliance with the system’s requirements by individuals, schools, and exchange visitor program sponsors. The fee is to be paid by specific individuals who are seeking status as F–1, F–3, M–1, or M–3 nonimmigrant students or as J–1 nonimmigrant exchange visitors. Information on how to pay the SEVIS (I-901) fee is found on the U.S. Immigration & Customs Enforcement website, or you may pay the fee online.


Registration is a separate process. Contact the Designated School Official (DSO) for registration information.

Photo of Lindsay Kuntz

Lindsay Kuntz

Nursing Advisor & Clinical Coordinator

  • 218.793.2527