information icon

Registration for Fall 2024 classes is now open. You can register today!

State Authorization

Northland Community and Technical College (NCTC) offers high-quality online courses and degree programs in the region and nation. NCTC is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission, and has many programs that achieve additional program specific accreditation.

As a member of NC-SARA (National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements), NCTC shares a reciprocity agreement with all states who are part of NC-SARA. The State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement, which is voluntary for states and institutions, establishes comparable national standards for interstate offering of postsecondary distance education courses and programs. It is intended to make it easier for students to take online courses offered by postsecondary institutions based in another state. SARA is overseen by a National Council and administered by four regional education compacts.

You can find out if you live a state or territory that has joined the NC-SARA consortium on the NC-SARA map.

National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements
NCTC has been approved by the State of Minnesota to participate in the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements. NC-SARA is a voluntary, regional approach to state oversight of postsecondary distance education.

Student Consumer Complaint Process

Institutions providing online education are required by the United States Department of Education’s Program Integrity Rule to provide all prospective and current students contact information of the state agency or agencies that handle complaints against postsecondary education institutions offering distance learning within that state.

Students with concerns are encouraged to work to resolve them by discussing them informally with a staff member at the college. If a complaint cannot be handled informally, NCTC students are encouraged to use our college’s complaint process, outlined in the Complaint and Grievance Annual Notice, found in the Student Handbook.

If a complaint cannot be resolved at the college level, you may contact the Minnesota Office of Higher Education. If you reside in another state, you may contact your local state agency for further information.