The Dietetic Technician Program trains students to work either independently or with Registered Dietitians in the areas of food, nutrition, and dietetics. Workers in this field promote optimum health through nutrition and are a central part of the healthcare and foodservice management teams. Dietetic Technicians work in a wide range of settings, including health care and public health, foodservice, community, and research. Graduates of this program are eligible to take the Registration Examination from the Commission on Dietetic Registration (CDR) www.cdrnet.org. Upon passing the exam graduates become a Dietetic Technician, Registered (DTR).
The Dietetic Technician, Registered (DTR) is employed in a variety of settings, including:
The 2011 Compensation & Benefits Survey of the Dietetics Profession revealed a median annual income of All DTRs in the United States who have been working in the field for four years or less was $36,400. Due to increasing emphasis on nutrition and disease prevention, growth of the dietetics field is expected to increase 18% by the year 2022 according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.
For more information on becoming a DTR, go to www.eatright.org.
According to CAREERwise, the median hourly pay as a Dietetic Technician in the state of Minnesota is $13.30 per hour. The employment outlook through 2024 is expected to grow approximately 23.2%, a very high-growth career.
Get started today by talking to an NCTC admissions representative about connecting your educational goals to a Dietetic Technician career path.Request Information »
Call Admissions at 1.800.959.6282 or Email Us.
View semester order by campus: Distance Education
|Course #||Course Name||Credit(s)|
|DIET 1005||Life Cycle Nutrition||3|
|DIET 2000||Community Nutrition||3|
|DIET 2005||Food Prod & Science||4|
|DIET 2010||Sanitation & Safety||2|
|DIET 2015||Selection & Procurement||4|
|DIET 2020||Nutritional Care||3|
|DIET 2025||Medical Nutrition||4|
|DIET 2030||Food Service Management||4|
|DIET 2035||Community Practicum||2|
|DIET 2040||Clinical Practicum||4|
|DIET 2045||Management Practicum||4|
|HLTH 1126||Therapeutic Communication||2|
|MKTG 2120||Supervisory Leadership||3|
|BIOL 2252||Anatomy & Phys I||3|
|BIOL 2254||Anatomy & Phys II||3|
|CHEM 1020||Intro to Chemistry||4|
|ENGL 1111||Composition I||3|
|MATH 1110||College Algebra||3|
|PSYC 1105||Intro to Psychology||3|
|SOCI 1101||Intro to Sociology||3|
1. Complete the admissions application to NCTC.
2. Complete all required developmental courses with a C grade or better before applying to the Dietetic Technician program.
3. Complete the TEAs for Allied Health with a minimum score of 50.
4. A cohort of 30 students will be admitted annually to the program. Students scoring the highest in the admission's rubric will be selected.
5. Completion of the Dietetic Technician program eligibility survey. The application window will be open August 15 -- September 18.
6. Obtain student membership to the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics which costs $50.
7. Completion of the College Health Screening & Immunization information requirements through Castle Branch (cost $35) prior to enrollment in DIET2035, DIET2040, and/or DIET2045.
8. Completion and approval for clinical participation of the Minnesota Department of Human Services Licensing Division Background Study and fingerprinting (cost approximately $10) prior to enrollment in DIET2035, DIET2040, and/or DIET2045.
9. Completion and approval for clinical participation of a National Background Study through Castle Branch. Cost $45.75 first year, $26 second year (if needed).
10. Complete all required courses for the Dietetic Technician program with a grade of C or better.
Northland Community & Technical College is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools.
Make education happen.
Are you ready for a real-world experience that allows you to apply your skills and knowledge right from the start? If you think you might be, take the next step toward becoming a student at NCTC.
|Explore Virtual Campus Tour »||Request More Information »|
|Read Student Stories »||Start Your Application »|
|View College Viewbook »||Schedule Campus Visit »|