The Fire Technology-AAS program provides an opportunity for students to obtain basic and advanced instruction in fire fighting techniques, fire prevention, rescue, and management of fire services. The major also provides instruction to become involved in all phases of the decision-making process from entry level through the company officer level, focusing on improving productivity and safety. The program consists of approximately one-third general education and two-thirds technical coursework, including classroom as well as technical hands-on training to enable the student to become familiar with all aspects of fire fighting from entry-level to advanced levels. Also included is an instructional area entitled-job skills. This instruction will be offered through students' local fire departments. Students who are not connected with a fire department will be assisted in finding a site.
Fire Technology Student Policy and Procedure Manual
Nationwide demand exists for students wanting to become professional fire fighters. Typically job titles will be as a starting fire fighter with a municipal fire department, but in some cases industry or other governmental institutions will hire graduates with these capabilities.
A firefighter's work does not follow a typical 9-5 schedule; therefore, based on shiftwork, the average annual starting salary for an entry-level firefighter is $45,000.00.
View semester order by location: East Grand Forks
|Course #||Course Name||Credit(s)|
|EMTB 1101||Emergency Medical Tech||6|
|FIRE 1000||Fire Service Principles||1|
|FIRE 1020||Technical Rescue I||3|
|FIRE 1030||Technical Rescue II||3|
|FIRE 1040||Firefighter I||6|
|FIRE 1050||Fire Protection Const||2|
|FIRE 1060||Fire Protection Systems||2|
|FIRE 2000||Engine & Truck Functions||3|
|FIRE 2010||Fire Prevention||2|
|FIRE 2020||Hazardous Materials||2|
|FIRE 2030||Safety Survival||2|
|FIRE 2040||Firefighter II||3|
|FIRE 2050||Fire Apparatus Operator||3|
|FIRE 2060||Instructor I||2|
|FIRE 2070||Fire Behavior||2|
|FIRE 2080||Career Success||2|
|ENGL 1111||Composition I||3|
|ENGL 2207||Technical Writing||3|
|SSCI 1101||Human Relations||3|
|G1: Communication Elec ( *See Elective Options Listed Below )||3|
|G4: Math/Logical Elective ( *See Elective Options Listed Below )||3|
Program Elective Course Options
For this particular pathway, NCTC recommends a student explore further coursework in the Minnesota Transfer Curriculum areas listed below. Need help? Schedule an appointment with a Northland Academic Advisor for assistance in selecting courses.
|Course #||Course Name||Credits|
|G1: Communications Electives|
|SPCH 1101||Intro to Public Speaking||3|
|SPCH 1103||Interpersonal Communicati||3|
|G4: Math/Logical Reasoning Electives|
|MATH 1102||Contemporary Math||3|
|MATH 1110||College Algebra||3|
Register for Classes » View Academic Calendar »
1. All required courses for the program must be completed with a grade of C or better.
2. All students must have structural firefighting personal protective equipment, which consists of a helmet, protective hood, coat, pants, gloves, and boots.
3. Students must have an "eligible" status through the State Motor Vehicle Records Check system.
4. Current CPR certification. CPR for Health Care Providers (American Heart Association) prior to enrollment in FIRE courses.
5. Completion of the College Health Screening & Immunization information requirements through Castle Branch (cost $45) prior to enrollment in FIRE courses.
6. Completion and approval for clinical participation of the Minnesota Department of Humans Services Licensing Division Background Study and fingerprinting (cost approximately $10) prior to enrollment in FIRE courses.
Northland Community & Technical College is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools.
Whether you're looking for a stepping stone to a four-year degree, hands-on training to jump start your career, or something in between - you'll find it at Northland.
|Take a Virtual Campus Tour »||Request Information »|
|Read Student Stories »||Start Your Application »|
|View College Viewbook »||Schedule Campus Visit »|