As a Respiratory Therapist you can hold an exciting position on the health care team. Under the supervision of a physician, the Respiratory Therapist is responsible for oxygen and gas therapy, care of patients with cardiopulmonary problems including cardiopulmonary arrest, delivery of aerosolized medication, chest physiotherapy, obtaining and analyzing arterial blood gas specimens, pulmonary function testing, maintenance of patients in need of mechanical ventilators, and education of patients and families. University of Minnesota-Crookston offers students the opportunity to transfer into designated baccalaureate programs; Bachelor of Science in Technical Studies (Emphasis Respiratory Care), or in Applied Management-Health Management.
The graduate of the AAS in Respiratory Care will be eligible, as required by the National Board of Respiratory Care (NBRC), to take first the entry Level exam, followed by the advanced level examination to be credentialed as a Registered Respiratory Therapist (RRT). Both levels require national credentialing examinations to earn the credentials of Certified or Registered respectively. Demand for the Respiratory Care Practitioner is very high, with a nationwide projected increase of over 50%.
According to CAREERwise, the median hourly pay as a Respiratory Therapy Technician in the state of Minnesota is $25.32 per hour. The employment outlook through 2024 is expected to grow approximately 5.5%, a high growth career.
Get started today by talking to an NCTC admissions representative about connecting your educational goals to a Respiratory Therapist career path.Request Information »
Call Admissions at 1.800.959.6282 or Email Us.
View semester order by campus: East Grand Forks
|Course #||Course Name||Credit(s)|
|EMTP 2234||Pediatric Adv Life Suppor||1|
|HLTH 1106||Medical Terminology||2|
|RESP 1104||Non Acute Resp Care||4|
|RESP 1110||Adult Critical Care||4|
|RESP 1120||Cardio Physiology/Assess||3|
|RESP 1126||Clinical I||1|
|RESP 2208||Clinical II||1|
|RESP 2211||Clinical III||2|
|RESP 2212||Diagnostic Procedures||3|
|RESP 2236||Neonatal Resuscitation Pr||1|
|RESP 2242||Neo/Peds Critical Care||4|
|RESP 2244||Integrated Pract I||1|
|RESP 2246||Neonatal Internship I||1|
|RESP 2250||Internship I||5|
|RESP 2252||Advanced Critical Care||4|
|RESP 2254||Internship II||5|
|RESP 2260||Neonatal Internship II||1|
|RESP 2262||Internship III||3|
|RESP 2264||Integrated Pract II||1|
|RESP 2276||Adv Prac Registry Review||3|
|BIOL 2252||Anatomy & Phys I||3|
|BIOL 2254||Anatomy & Phys II||3|
|CHEM 1020||Intro to Chemistry||4|
|ENGL 1111||Composition I||3|
|MATH 1110||College Algebra||3|
|PSYC 1105||Intro to Psychology||3|
|G6: Human/Fine Arts Elec ( *See Elective Options Listed Below )||3|
Area of Interest Elective Course Options
For this particular pathway, NCTC recommends a student explore further coursework in the Minnesota Transfer Curriculum areas listed below. Need help? Schedule an appointment with a Northland Academic Advisor for assistance in selecting courses.
|Course #||Course Name||Credits|
|G6: Humanities/Fine Arts Electives|
|PHIL 1101||Intro to Philosophy||3|
|PHIL 1102||Intro to Ethics||3|
|PHIL 2210||Morals and Medicine||3|
1. Appropriate Accuplacer scores or successful completion of ENGL0095, MATH0090 must be completed before entering any RESP courses.
2. Completion of the RESP program application.
3. Four (4) hours of volunteer, observation, or work experience in a respiratory therapy department documented on the Clinical Observation form.
4. TEAS V for Allied Health (AH) FAQ sheet adjusted individual total score of at least 45%. Review the directions on how to create an account.
5. Annual enrollment into the Respiratory Therapist semesters 1-6 courses is limited to 24 students per semester.
-- Acceptance into the Respiratory Therapist program is based upon eligibility for and successful online registration into all semester 1 Respiratory Therapist coursework.
-- Students are encouraged to declare Respiratory Therapist as their major and to meet with an academic advisor prior to registering for Respiratory Therapist classes to be sure that they meet all requirements.
6. Once the online registration capacity of 24 students enrolled in RESP courses is reached, any student wanting to enroll into the respiratory therapist coursework will be encouraged to register online into the electronic waiting lists.
-- Students are also encouraged to take advantage of this time to take non-respiratory coursework to improve their chances of success in RESP course work.
7. Students on the waiting lists are encouraged to check online registration and their email, as students may drop from registration or eligibility at any time up to the first week of the semester.
8. Completion and approval for clinical participation of the Minnesota Department of Humans Services Licensing Division Background Study and fingerprinting (cost approximately $10) upon program entry. Completion and approval for clinical participation of a National Background Study through Castle Branch. Cost $45.75 first year, $26 second year (if needed).
9. A laptop computer is recommended for semesters four through six.
10. All required courses for the program must be completed with a grade of C or better.
11. Completion of the College Health Screening & Immunization information requirements through Castle Branch (cost $35) prior to enrollment in RESP courses.
12. Current CPR certification. CPR for Health Care Providers (American Heart Association) or CPR for Professional Rescuer (Red Cross) is required prior to enrollment in semesters 2-6 of RESP courses.
Northland Community & Technical College is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools.
The program is accredited by the:
Commission on Accreditation for Respiratory Care (www.coarc.com)
1248 Harwood Road
Bedford, Texas 76021-4244
Make education happen.
Are you ready for a real-world experience that allows you to apply your skills and knowledge right from the start? If you think you might be, take the next step toward becoming a student at NCTC.
|Explore Virtual Campus Tour »||Request More Information »|
|Read Student Stories »||Start Your Application »|
|View College Viewbook »||Schedule Campus Visit »|