The Fire Technology-AAS program provides an opportunity for students to obtain basic and advanced instruction in fire fighting techniques, fire prevention, rescue, and management of fire services. The major also provides instruction to become involved in all phases of the decision-making process from entry level through the company officer level, focusing on improving productivity and safety. The program consists of approximately one-third general education and two-thirds technical coursework, including classroom as well as technical hands-on training to enable the student to become familiar with all aspects of fire fighting from entry-level to advanced levels. Also included is an instructional area entitled-job skills. This instruction will be offered through students' local fire departments. Students who are not connected with a fire department will be assisted in finding a site.
Policy and Procedure Manual
Nationwide demand exists for students wanting to become professional fire fighters. Typically job titles will be as a starting fire fighter with a municipal fire department, but in some cases industry or other governmental institutions will hire graduates with these capabilities.
According to CAREERwise, the median hourly pay as a Firefighter in the state of Minnesota is $14.43 per hour. The employment outlook through 2024 is expected to grow approximately -2.5%, a high-growth career.
According to ISEEK, Minnesota's career, education and job resource, employment for Fire Technology in the state of Minnesota from 2010-2020 is 4%, a low growth career.
Get started today by talking to a Northland Admissions Representative about connecting your educational goals to a Fire Technology career path.
Call Admissions at 1.800.959.6282 or Email Us.
View semester schedule by campus: East Grand Forks
|Course #||Course Name||Credit(s)|
|EMTB 1101||Emergency Medical Tech||6 credits|
|FIRE 1100||Intro to Fire Service||1 credits|
|FIRE 1102||Firefighter Fitness||2 credits|
|FIRE 1104||Job Skills||1 credits|
|FIRE 1110||Firefighter Basic||6 credits|
|FIRE 1112||Fire Apparatus||3 credits|
|FIRE 1124||Fire Protection System||2 credits|
|FIRE 1130||Rescue Theory & Practices||1 credits|
|FIRE 1150||HazMat Operational||2 credits|
|FIRE 1152||Building Construction||3 credits|
|FIRE 1165||Technical Rescue||2 credits|
|FIRE 2206||Inspection & Code Enforce||3 credits|
|FIRE 2208||Firefighter Practical||3 credits|
|FIRE 2230||Fire Investigation||2 credits|
|FIRE 2240||Company Functions||3 credits|
|FIRE 2250||Fire Instructor Basic||2 credits|
|FIRE 2256||HazMat Technician||4 credits|
|CHEM 1020||Intro to Chemistry||4 credits|
|ENGL 1111||Composition I||3 credits|
|ENGL 2207||Technical Writing||3 credits|
|MATH 1110||College Algebra||3 credits|
|SPCH 1103||Interpersonal Communicati||3 credits|
|TOTAL COURSE CREDITS:||62 credits|
1. All required courses for the program must be completed with a grade of C or better.
2. All students must have structural firefighting personal protective equipment, which consists of a helmet, protective hood, coat, pants, gloves, and boots.
3. Students must have an "eligible" status through the State Motor Vehicle Records Check system.
4. Current CPR certification. CPR for Health Care Providers (American Heart Association) prior to enrollment in FIRE courses.
5. Completion of the College Health Screening & Immunization information requirements through Castle Branch (cost $35) prior to enrollment in FIRE courses.
6. Completion and approval for clinical participation of the Minnesota Department of Humans Services Licensing Division Background Study and fingerprinting (cost approximately $10) prior to enrollment in FIRE courses.
Northland Community & Technical College is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools.
Northland offers a multitude of opportunities, whether you're beginning your degree or returning to college. We're affordable, convenient, and flexible. Northland Community & Technical College – it’s more than just a great education. It’s about making a career out of what you love to do. Thinking about a new career? Think Northland!