Tips for Working With Us
The Department of Marketing & Communications exists to provide strategic services in order to advance the College’s branding, recruitment, and retention objectives. We are happy to provide time, expertise, resources and (when possible) funding for projects which help advance the College.
Below are a few tips for working with us that will help ensure that our collaboration is a successful one on both sides:
- Get our office involved as early as you can. Like many departments, we are typically managing several projects and deadlines all at once, and we will need sufficient time to provide value-added assistance.
- If possible, do your strategic thinking in advance. We can be of greater assistance if you come in with a clear idea of what you want to communicate, how and to whom. But if you do need help with this up-front thinking, we can help you frame the problem and get started.
- Be responsive. Especially when it comes to media inquiries, time is of the essence. An unreturned phone call can mean a missed placement opportunity.
- Be specific. Much about the world of communications and marketing is subjective. But designers, photographers, videographers, and writers are not mind-readers, so the more clearly you can articulate your objectives, the more successful your project will be. And don't hesitate to draw on the expertise of those you've asked to help you with your project.
- Have realistic expectations. A compelling marketing piece can go a long way toward advancing your objectives, but it is not a magic bullet. Remember that your audience is unlikely to give your communication as much attention and scrutiny as you do. The same goes for media expectations; remember that for every great story Northland has to tell, there are hundreds of compelling stories from other sources competing for the same small slice of coverage.
The following are areas we don't cover: