Veterans Resource Center

The Veterans Resource Center is your one-stop-shop for all military benefits. If you are a Veteran, you may be eligible for the GI Bill or other military education benefits. You may also be eligible for disability services, personal counseling, tutorial assistance, financial aid or VA Funded work-study.

Serving Our Military and Veteran Students

Northland provides service members, veterans, and military families with the flexibility and convenience needed to achieve their educational goals.

The Veterans Certifying Official or the Higher Education Veterans Programs Regional Coordinator are available to guide you as you apply for your military education benefits. You may also be eligible for disability services, counseling, tutorial assistance, financial aid or VA funded work-study. We want to make sure you get all the benefits for which you are entitled. The Veterans Resource Center provides a place for study and to socialize with fellow veterans. Northland complies with Minnesota Statute 197.775 which exceeds all criteria of Title 38 United States Code Section 3679(e).

The application process to Northland involves two main steps:

  • 1. Apply to Northland
  • 2. Apply for your military education benefits

Apply to Northland

Here are the steps a Veteran needs to accomplish to apply to Northland. Schedule an appointment to meet with the Higher Education Veterans Programs Regional Coordinator, or staff at the on campus veteran’s center to discuss specific veterans/higher education questions.

  • 1Apply for admission through the College Admissions Office or online.
  • 2Request OFFICIAL high school or GED transcripts be sent directly to the campus.
  • 3Request all OFFICIAL college/military transcripts be sent to the college to be evaluated for transfer credit.
  • 4If you took the ACT test or have college credits in reading, English , or math, you MAY be waived from the assessment test. If so, please call to make an appointment to attend one of the scheduled Registration Days.
  • 5All students NOT waived, will need to schedule an assessment test. You will register for classes following your assessment test.
  • 6Apply for Financial Aid
  • 7If applicable, apply for Federal Tuition Assistance or State Tuition Reimbursement
  • 8Complete the Northland online orientation.
  • 9Meet with the Veterans Certifying Official and share a copy of your class schedule, DD-214, and VONAPP if you applied for benefits on line.

Financial Aid

Fill out the FREE application on the FAFSA website for federal student aid.

Apply for Financial Aid »

Apply for Military Education Benefits

Transfer Credit Information

Recent legislation in Minnesota requires Minnesota State Colleges and Universities to review military academic transcripts and give appropriate credit based on the American Council on Education (ACE) recommendations. To get your official military transcripts go to:

Chapter 33 GI Bill Program

Chapter 33 - The Post 9/11 GI Bill provides financial support for education and housing to individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service on or after September 11, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days.

Below are descriptions of each of the military education benefits:

Chapter 30

This is the “active duty” Montgomery GI Bill. It provides up to 36 months of education benefits to eligible veterans. Active duty members pay in $100 per month for 12 months to receive the benefit. The benefit is scaled based upon number of credits taken.

Chapter 31

This is the Vocational Rehabilitation program. The veteran must have service connected disabilities to apply for the benefit.

Chapter 32

This is the predecessor to the Chapter 30 benefit. To be eligible for this program the veteran must have entered service for the first time between January 1, 1977, and June 30, 1985.

Chapter 35

This is the Survivors and Dependants education benefits. Dependents' Educational Assistance provides education and training opportunities to eligible dependents of certain veterans. The program offers up to 45 months of education benefits.

Chapter 1606

The Montgomery GI Bill - Selected Reserve program may be available to you if you are a member of the Selected Reserve. The Selected Reserve includes the Army Reserve, Navy Reserve, Air Force Reserve, Marine Corps Reserve and Coast Guard Reserve, and the Army National Guard and the Air National Guard. Generally this is the education benefit for soldiers that have not been deployed.

Chapter 1607

Montgomery GI Bill - REAP - It is a Department of Defense education benefit program designed to provide educational assistance to members of the Reserve components called or ordered to active duty in response to a war or national emergency (contingency operation) as declared by the President or Congress. The Department of Defense and the Department of Homeland Security will determine who is eligible for this program.

State Tuition Reimbursement (STR)

Minnesota State Tuition Reimbursement (STR) will pay for 100% of your tuition (not including student fees) and will pay up to the undergraduate rate at the University of Minnesota and up to 144 semester or 208 quarter credits.

This benefit may be used in conjunction with GI Bill and Federal Tuition Assistance. This benefit is available to members of the Minnesota National Guard and Minnesota Air National Guard.

Federal Tuition Assistance (FTA)

Federal Tuition Assistance (FTA) will pay up to a set amount per Army fiscal year (Oct - Sept) in tuition expenses including student fees. This benefit is may be used in conjunction with the GI Bill and State Tuition Reimbursement (see attached letter for conditions). Please note this is not a guaranteed benefit. This program has a finite budget and is paid on a first come, first serve basis. Please apply early. You may apply for these benefits within 30 days of your semesters/quarters start date.

This program is available to drilling members of the Army National Guard or Army Reserve. In order to receive payment for a course, the course must be completed prior to your separation from any of the above mentioned military components. You may start receiving FTA benefits the day you enlist. FTA can be reimbursed for out of state institution tuition. Remember you must be an active member of the Guard or Reserve.

This benefit is paid up-front. You are required to earn a "C" or better in your classes, or in the event of a class taken pass/fail you must "pass". Failure to earn a "C" or better or 'pass" may result in repayment of FTA.

Get Started!

The GI Bill provides financial support for education and housing to individuals.

Apply for GI Bill Benefits »

Federal Tuition Assistance

The Federal Tuition Assistance (TA) program pays the cost of tuition and some additional fees. Nearly all Active Duty, Reserve or Guard members are eligible for FTA. However, each service branch determines eligibility criteria that often reduce access. FTA covers up to 100 percent tuition and fees, not to exceed $250 per semester credit hour or $4,000 per fiscal year, with a maximum of 16 credits.

All active duty service members (including Guard and Reserve) must contact their education service officer or education counselor within your branch of service prior to enrolling in any college or university.

Federal Tuition Assistance application procedures for military services:

Minnesotans’ Military Appreciation Fund

The Minnesota Military Appreciation Fund is a fund established by private residents of Minnesota to thank Minnesota service members for their service. The MMAF will provide $250 -- $500 to all Minnesota military personnel who have served in a combat zone since September 11, 2001. They will increase the amount of the award to Purple Heart recipients and to the families of those killed in action. See eligibility criteria below.

  • Minnesota taxpaying residents on active military duty
  • Minnesota taxpaying residents assigned to Reserve or Guard units located outside of Minnesota
  • Non-Minnesota taxpayers assigned to a Minnesota Reserve or Guard Unit Member of one of the above mentioned groups who served after September 11, 2001, and was honorably discharged

Minnesota Educational Assistance for War Orphans

Qualified war orphans may receive up to $750 a year from the Minnesota Department of Veterans Affairs to be used for tuition, books, supplies, board and room.

To be eligible for this program, you must have lost your veteran parent through death because of a service caused condition and have been a resident of Minnesota for two years prior to your application for educational benefits.

Children of deceased veterans also may qualify for free tuition at the University of Minnesota and the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities, until they earn a bachelor's degree. This does not apply to private institutions.

For more information, students should contact the financial aid office at the school they attend or plan to attend, their county Veterans Service Officer at the County Courthouse, or:

Minnesota Department of Veterans Affairs
Veterans Service Building, 2nd Floor
20 West 12th Street
St. Paul, MN 55155
Tel: (651) 296-2562
Web: www.mdva.state.mn.us

Minnesota GI Bill

The Minnesota GI Bill program provides assistance to eligible Minnesota Veterans, currently serving military, National Guard and Reserve members who served after September 11, 2001 and eligible spouse and children. The Program provides a maximum benefit of $10,000, up to age 62. Eligible participants can use the benefit in Higher Education, On-the-job training (OJT)/Apprenticeship or License and Certification. For eligibility requirements and further information, please visit Minnesota Department of Veterans Affairs Benefits & Resources.

Veteran’s Affairs Pending Payment Compliance

In accordance with Title 38 US Code 3679 subsection (e), this school adopts the following additional provisions for any students using U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Post 9/11 G.I. Bill® (Ch. 33) or Vocational Rehabilitation & Employment (Ch. 31) benefits, while payment to the institution is pending from the VA. This school will not:

  • Prevent the student’s enrollment;
  • Assess a late penalty fee to the student;
  • Require the student to secure alternative or additional funding;
  • Deny the student access to any resources (access to classes, libraries, or other institutional facilities) available to other students who have satisfied their tuition and fee bills to the institution.

However, to qualify for this provision, such students may be required to:

  • Produce the VA Certificate of Eligibility (COE) by the first day of class;
  • Provide a written request to be certified;
  • Provide additional information needed to properly certify the enrollment as described in other institutional policies

Take the Next Step

Find Programs » Apply to Northland » Request Information » Schedule a Visit »

In the meantime, feel free to explore our campuses and program offerings from your home or phone by going on an interactive virtual tour of Northland.


MyMilitaryEducation.org Higher Education Veterans Program Regional Coordinators are ready to assist Veterans and eligible family members with accessing the right benefits, school and programs.

Learn More »

Contact Us

East Grand Forks Campus
Heather Nelson
Veterans Certifying Official
Financial Aid Advisor

Thief River Falls Campus
Lisa Bottem
Veterans Certifying Official
Financial Aid Director

Northwest Regional Coordinator
Tony Schnellbach, MSW
Northwest District Veterans Assistance Coordinator
Office: 218-755-2230
Cell: 218-208-7544