ARP Emergency Grants
ARP: American Rescue Plan (HEERF III)
The Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund III (HEERF III) is authorized by the American Rescue Plan (ARP), Public Law 117-2, signed into law on March 11, 2021, providing $39.6 billion in support to institutions of higher education to serve students and ensure learning continues during the COVID-19 pandemic. On October 12, 2021, Northland Community & Technical College began disbursing Student Aid funds to students via both automatic and application grants. The funds are from the American Rescue Plan (ARP) and are governed by federal guidelines.
First Disbursements to be made the week of October 11, 2021
- $750 to $1500 disbursement to each enrolled student who are Pell Eligible or has an EFC of 19,750 or less as determined by the results of the 2021-2022 FAFSA – approximately 948 students
- No action required
- Total estimated first disbursement - $1,293,000
Emergency Grant Awards
- These grants will require an application that includes documentation or statement of need.
- Students who have experienced financial difficulty or hardship related to COVID-19 may apply for an ARP Financial Assistance Emergency Grant.
Students who meet the following federal eligibility requirements may receive one or more types of ARP funding:
- Must be a new or returning student actively enrolled in a degree-seeking program Fall 2021 in any online, hybrid or face-to-face credits, or non-credit course.
- Have a high school diploma or GED certificate.
Must NOT BE one of the following:
- Enrolled in Post-Secondary Enrollment Options (PSEO)
- Enrolled via Concurrent Enrollment/College in the High School
- Visiting or non-degree seeking student
- Student utilizing the senior citizen tuition rate
- Student participating in 100% employer-funded courses
- Minnesota State system employee utilizing an employee tuition waiver
- Currently incarcerated
Two Types of Student Aid
Total American Rescue Plan (ARP) Funds Available to Northland students: $2,791,361
- Northland Community & Technical College has allocated 60 percent of the funds to be awarded and disbursed in the fall of 2021 and the remaining 40 percent to be awarded and disbursed in the spring of 2022.
- Spring award amounts will be determined in mid-February 2022 based on actual enrollment with a goal of disbursing block grants in mid-to-late February.