Tuesday, January 10, 2006
THIEF RIVER FALLS, MN (January 10, 2006) - Practical Nursing students at Northland College, under the direction of their instructors, Betty Carlson and DeLoris Larson, provided a Health Fair for NCTC students and staff as an academic service learning project during the fall semester. Marcia Sandahl, Academic Service Learning Coordinator, provided assistance with this service learning project. One of her students created brochures and flyers to promote interest in attending the Health Fair.
Practical Nursing Students did various presentations and demonstrations of health related issues. The students provided stress level assessments and techniques to manage stress in a healthy manner. They also gave demonstrations of proper infant and child restraint in car seats. Students provided information on the need of blood donation and what to expect as a donor. Other projects included help for persons with alcohol use/abuse and smoking cessation. Blood oxygenation saturation assessments were also completed. Information was shared regarding healthy nutritional intake and samples of healthy food and snacks were prepared and shared. Blood glucose monitoring was also provided for those participants desiring to know their glucose level. Brochures were presented regarding healthy lifestyle techniques to maintain good cardiac health and blood pressure assessments were provided. Skin cancer prevention techniques were presented along with information regarding SPF. Information regarding methamphetamine was also presented.
Some of the student’s responses regarding the health fair included:
1) It taught me skills in collecting data and promoting wellness. It helped me to gain confidence in helping to educate people about their health.
2) We did a lot of team work on our project. We learned to work together to make sure we did our project correctly. It was interesting to see the other student’s projects and get educated about their topics, too.
3) We were able to answer a variety of questions for the people that stopped at our booth. We felt we learned a lot from the Health Fair experience because of the research that was required for the project.
4) People were impressed with the information we gave them. We were able to demonstrate skills we’ve learned in our nursing classes and lab.
5) We feel that putting on the health fair was a great learning experience and a wonderful opportunity to share information with our community regarding awareness of health issues and safety.
Northland Community and Technical College (Northland College .edu) is a comprehensive college with campuses in Thief River Falls, MN and East Grand Forks, MN. Northland also has a separate aerospace campus in Thief River Falls, MN and a satellite site in Roseau, MN. Northland offers certificates, diplomas, transfer courses, two-year AAS degrees in more than 60 areas of study, workforce training and education programs. Northland is a member of the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities system, and is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association. Visit Northland online at www.northlandcollege.edu. Northland is an equal opportunity educator and employer.