What is NorthernConnect?
Bemidji State University (BSU) and Northland Community & Technical College (NCTC) have created NorthernConnect to exclusively benefit you and your education. BSU and NCTC want you to have a well-defined, smooth and stress-free transition to BSU from NCTC when you are ready to earn your bachelor’s degree after completing your AA, AS, or AAS degree.
NorthernConnect offers you several strategic benefits while you make your education happen. You will have access to many BSU student life activities and to BSU advisors that will help guide you to ensure you are taking the classes you need. Once you have signed your intent to participate in NorthernConnect and provided you meet the qualifications, you will see guaranteed and accelerated admission to BSU when you are ready to start your bachelor’s degree.
NorthernConnect is designed to ensure BSU and NCTC are working collaboratively to help you make your education happen.
Why Choose NorthernConnect?
- 1 Receive BSU ID card - You will be issued a BSU ID card and allowed to participate in many student life activities at BSU while a NCTC student.
- 2 Dual advising - You can participate in dual advising with BSU once per semester while in your sophomore year at NCTC.
- 3 Guaranteed entrance to BSU - When you graduate with your AA, AS or select AAS degree from NCTC, you are guaranteed admission to NorthernConnect.
- 4 Accelerated admissions to BSU - The program provides you a smooth transition through the NorthernConnect admissions process.
- 5 Admission at BSU after 24 credits - NorthernConnect allows you to be admitted to BSU after completing 24 or more transferable credits with a 2.5 GPA at NCTC. You will transfer to BSU as a junior after completing your AA, AS, or AAS degree.
- 6 Waived BSU application fee - Your application fee to BSU will be waived upon your acceptance into this program.
How Do I Qualify?
Student eligibility requirements:
- 1 You have completed 24 transferable credits. Students may apply during the semester they will complete the required credits.
- 2 You have a GPA of 2.5 or higher when applying to this program and maintain that GPA through transfer to BSU.
- 3 You have all Minnesota Transfer curriculum (MNTC) completed appropriate for your two year program of study when transferring to BSU. Must have completed advising sessions with both NCTC and BSU while enrolled in this program and still attending NCTC classes.
How Do I Get Started?
There are no additional fees to join NorthernConnect. You will just need to pay your one time application fee to Northland Community & Technical College.
Here’s how to get started:
- If you are a high school student or new to NCTC, submit an application and mark the appropriate sections to indicate your desire to join NorthernConnect.
- If you’re already a NCTC student, you can indicate your desire to join NorthernConnect at any time.
- Meet with an advisor before initial registration and at regular intervals to maintain an appropriate academic plan. When you have completed 24 transferable credits with a 2.5 GPA, meet with your NCTC advisor to confirm NorthernConnect status.
- Sophomore year, meet with your NCTC and BSU advisors once per semester.
- Attend a NorthernConnect information session for specific instructions hosted by a BSU advisor.
- Complete and submit the application to join NorthernConnect.