Allied Health & Human Services

Frequently Asked Questions

Criminal Background Checks

Why is a criminal background check required?

Minnesota Statutes, Section 245A.04 requires all health care institutions that provide supportive or health supervision services in Minnesota to obtain a criminal background check on all employees, volunteers and contractors who may provide direct contact services with patients. Failure to qualify by the Department of Human Services background check may make it impossible for the program to provide a clinical site for required courses.

When is a background check completed?

The student will be notified of the necessary timeline for background completion. The student completes an application and NCTC applies for the study from the Minnesota Department of Human Services. Students are required to have criminal background verification annually. The results of these studies must be on file at NCTC prior to beginning clinical experiences. Students will complete the appropriate form and NCTC will apply for the study from the Minnesota Department of Human Services.

What information does the Department of Human Services (DHS) review when conducting a background study?

A background study involves a review of specific records of the person being studied by the Department of Human Services. Routine background studies include a review of:

  • Criminal conviction records maintained by the Bureau of Criminal Apprehension. Generally, these records include felonies, gross misdemeanors and misdemeanors.
  • Records of substantiated maltreatment of vulnerable adults and minors, including:
    • All substantiated perpetrators from DHS investigations
    • All substantiated perpetrators from investigations that resulted in negative licensing actions against family day care providers, family foster care providers and adult foster care providers
    • All substantiated perpetrators in the same facilities who were disqualified by the county and who asked for reconsideration of their disqualification
    • All substantiated perpetrators of maltreatment reported to DHS from the counties and the Department of Health (MDH).
  • When DHS has reasonable cause to believe there is additional information, the study may be expanded to include records from police departments, courts, other states and the FBI.

Which Northland Health & Human Service programs require completion of a criminal background study?

The following NCTC Health & Human Service programs currently require students to complete a criminal background study prior to clinical placement:

  • Cardiovascular Technology
  • Early Childhood & Education
  • Fire Technology
  • Nursing (ADN & PN)
  • Occupational Therapy Assistant
  • Paramedicine
  • Pharmacy Technology
  • Phlebotomy
  • Physical Therapist Assistant
  • Radiologic Technology
  • Respiratory Therapist
  • Surgical Technology

Immunization & Health Screening Data Requirements

Do I have to complete the Health Screening Data Form?

Yes. Students enrolled in Health and Human Service programs are required to complete the Health Screening Data form. *Failure to complete the required form will affect students' ability to participate in clinical experiences.*

I already provided immunization data when I applied to the college. Why do I need to provide it again?

The immunization information you provided during the application process to the college included only information about Tetanus-diphtheria and MMR immunizations.  Completion of the Health Screening Data form actually is asking for immunization data for additional vaccine preventable diseases (such as Chicken Pox or Varicella) and for documentation about current tuberculosis screening.

Why are there additional immunization requirements for health students?

All students in health occupation courses who will be in direct patient contact are required to have documented evidence of current immunizations against a range of diseases and must pass an annual tuberculosis screening before beginning their clinical experience. The Health Screening Data requirements are in place to protect the health of students, patients, employees and others, and to comply with standards established by the affiliated healthcare providers at which students will be assigned during clinical rotations.  These requirements are modeled after the requirements that clinical or healthcare facilities currently have in place for their employees based on U.S. Center for Disease Control Recommendations for Health Care Workers.

What if I do not know my current immunization status?

Your personal physician should have a record of your last tetanus/diphtheria booster and whether you have had the hepatitis B series. Often parents remember, even if you do not, if you have had the chickenpox. About 90% of college students have had the disease, and those students do not need the varicella vaccination. If you or your parents do not remember whether you have had the chickenpox, your physician may want to order a blood test to determine whether you have had the chickenpox.

Who will get to see my immunization record?

The information submitted on the Health Screening Data Form will be treated as a confidential record, like your academic records. The only college staff who will have access to your immunization record and health screening data are those who need to handle or see it in the context of documenting your compliance with the college health screening requirements for clinical course placement.

Who should I contact if I have questions about my immunizations or tuberculosis screening?

Contact your personal health care provider (your doctor or clinic) or the county health department with questions about your immunizations or tuberculosis screening. College personnel, including faculty, are not qualified to answer questions specific to your immunization status and tuberculosis screening needs.

Selective Admission Processes

Selective admission processes for programs in the Allied Health and Human Services Division?

Questions about the selective admission processes for programs in the Allied Health and Human Services Division should be directed to the program director for the program of interest.