Grade Book Picture This section includes information about assigning student grades and how those grades are then submitted within the college grading system.  Specific topics include:


Academic Grading Scale

The college grading system recognizes grades A, B, C, D, F; it does not recognize pluses or minuses.  For tests and assignments, faculty members may use pluses or minuses; they just cannot be entered for a final grade.  Check with other faculty in your department to determine if the department uses a standard range for letter grades (for example, 90 – 100 = A; 80 – 89 = B; etc.)  It is suggested that you include your grading scale on your syllabus.

Grading (Policy 3090) defines the meaning of the letter grades that are used to document student academic achievement on the official transcript as follows:


Commonly Used Letter Grades

Other Letter Grades

A = Excellent 

P/ NP = Pass/ No Pass

B = Above Average

CR = Credit by Exam

C = Average

AU = Audit

D = Below Average

I = Incomplete

F = Failing

NC = No Credit


Z = In Progress


W = Withdraw


R = Repeat


Posting Grades

Posting of grades by social security number (partial or full) or by their NCTC student ID violates the students' rights to privacy.  In general student grades should not be posted in a public location such as on your office door or classroom bulletin board.  Using the Gradebook feature in D2L is one suggested method for posting student grades on exams and assignments and for keeping the students aware of their overall course grade. 


Grade of "Incomplete"

It is possible to assign a grade of Incomplete ("I") under certain narrowly-defined circumstances.  The following is the college policy on incompletes:  

Students may request of the instructor that they be assigned a grade of incomplete (I).   A grade of "I" may be assigned at the discretion of the instructor in exceptional circumstances and is a temporary grade.  It is to be given only to students who cannot complete the coursework on schedule because of illness or other circumstances beyond their control.  An incomplete grade will automatically become an "F" grade at the end of the next semester if requirements have not been satisfactorily met.  Instructors have the option of setting an earlier completion date.  NCTC Policy 3090 Grading Policy 

The form for requesting a grade of Incomplete can be found in the Student Services Department on campus or on the Web in the Employee Virtual Office. (Look under Forms = Student Services = Request for Incomplete Audit Pass/ No Pass Grade)


Submission of Final Grades

The registrar sends faculty members information about the final grade submission process near the end of each semester.  Grades for the semester have specific due dates that are included with this information.  (Grades are usually due within 1-2 days of the end of the semester.)

Grades can be entered by filling in the Final Grade Roster and submitting it to the Registrar's office or by entering grades directly to the Web.  If grades are entered directly to the Web, remember to print a copy for your files as you will not be able to access the grade screen once you have submitted the grades.  Whether submitting final grades on paper or on the Web, the Final Grade Roster must be submitted to the Registrar's office.

Do not give a grade of "Incomplete" without submitting the appropriate form to the Registrar's office. 


Grade Changes

On those rare occasions when a grade must be changed (e.g. changing a grade of "I" to the letter grade earned), the instructor must complete a Grade Change form.  This form can be obtained from the Student Services Department or on the Web in the Employee Virtual Office.  (Look under Forms = Student Services = Grade Change)


Grade Appeals

Occasionally a student may appeal a grade they are given on an exam or in a course.  The NCTC college policy on grade appeals:

Students may appeal a final grade or any grade received on cumulative work calculated into the final grade. All grade appeals must be directed first to the instructor who assigned the disputed grade, as within the College, the faculty retains the responsibility of assigning grades.  The College cannot change the grade assigned by an instructor unless presented with clear and convincing evidence that the instructor's grading procedure was biased, did not reflect sound educational practices, or was inconsistent with the common course outline and course syllabus.


The Grade Appeals Policy (Policy 3430) provides further information related to how a student files a grade appeal.


Grade Books  

Faculty are expected to keep a written record of how students are progressing through a course.  The usual ways of doing this are either through the use of a paper grade book (which can be purchased in the college bookstore) that lists the student's names and scores on assignments or by using a computer program to keep track of this information. 


If you want to use a computer based program, you have several choices.  You may use the gradebook feature within the online course delivery system (known as D2L or Desire2Learn).  It already has your student's names listed and can securely store this information.  The gradebook within D2L is part of a secure system that is backed up regularly at the state level.  Another option is to create an electronic gradebook using an Excel spreadsheet or one of the many gradebook programs that are available commercially.