1When a threat of harm to individuals, students, or employees is identified, a “lockdown” will be implemented immediately.
2If an employee or student hears gunshots or sees someone with a weapon, do not investigate the situation. Call law enforcement immediately and report the incident. If possible, give a description of the person and his/her location in the building.
3If an armed individual comes into the classroom:
a. Notify law enforcement, if possible.
b. Do as the gunman demands.
c. Do not make any sudden moves that may frighten the intruder.
d. Never argue.
e. Take your time.
f. Keep your class or group as calm as possible.
g. Physical force should not be used unless someone’s life is in imminent danger.
h. Talk to the gunman.
1. Learn as much as you can about the gunman.
2. Keep the gunman’s attention on you, not on your students/group.
3. If more than one person is involved, concentrate only on one person.
i. Be observant.
1. Mentally record a detailed description of the individual/weapon.
2. Identify a distinctive feature and concentrate on that one item.
3. Remember what objects the intruder touches and preserve.
4. Preserve the crime scene and never touch, move, or disturb.
j. If the gunman starts shooting:
1. Tell students to get down and lie on the floor.
2. Take cover on the floor and/or behind equipment.
4Emergency phone numbers are posted by each emergency phone at various entrances.