This procedure will be implemented when a crisis demands that all employees, students, and College guests evacuate the building. A reason for such an evacuation would include a bomb threat.
Procedure for receiving a threatening call (bomb threat):
- 1. Do NOT hang up.
- 2. Do NOT put the caller on hold.
- 3. Make an effort to keep conversation going. Ask:
- Location of bomb?
- Time to go off?
- Is it in the open?
- Kind of bomb?
- Size of bomb?
- How did it get into the building?
- Why was it put there?
- Name of caller?
- 4. Listen to:
- Caller's voice for familiarity or distinctive accents
- Background sounds
- 5. Leave the phone off hook.
- 6. Call law enforcement from another phone away from caller’s hearing range.
- 7. Notify an administrator/supervisor immediately.
- 8. The administrator/supervisor may initiate building evacuation procedures.
- 9. All people are to evacuate using the designated fire drill exits.
- 10. Employees are to make a visual check of the building during evacuation to look for anything unusual. Notify the appropriate person in charge.
- 11. Remain with students until notified by the supervisor/fire/police in charge.
- 12. People are to evacuate the facility and proceed at least 250 feet away from the building until they are informed by administrator/supervisor/public safety official that it is safe to return.
- 13. If a bomb is found, do not touch it. Immediately notify law enforcement.