Certified Nurses Assistant
The 78-hour Nursing Assistant course is geared toward students interested in a nursing career or those seeking employment as a Certified Nursing Assistant. The course introduces concepts of basic human needs in simple terms. You will learn to assist residents in activities of daily living.
This course will be presented through the use of lecture, textbook, handout materials and skill demonstrations, which are practiced in a supervised laboratory setting and clinical environment.
Nursing Assistant courses:
- Prepare students for practice at the nursing assistant level
- Establish basic skills used in nursing
- Introduce common technical nursing skills
- Familiarize concepts of basic human needs in simple terms
- Offer an extended learning environment at skills labs and clinical settings
- Teach assistance of residents in daily living activities
- Emphasize principles of body mechanics
Completion of this course enables you to take the Nursing Assistant Competency Evaluation, which has a separate application and fee of $160.
After successfully completing the written and skills competency evaluations, you will be placed on the Minnesota Nursing Assistant Registry. This registration can be easily transferred to North Dakota and most other states.
** Please Note: These courses could be cancelled or postponed if there are less than 6 students enrolled in the class 1 week prior to the first day. You will be notified ahead of time if this occurs.
- Attendance is mandatory to successfully complete this course.
- All students must have a background study done at the beginning of the course as a state requirement for clinical placement in Minnesota.
- All students will be required to provide immunization records, including proof of a Mantoux TB test in the last six months.
- All students will be responsible for arranging transportation to and from class, including clinical experiences held at the Villa St. Vincent in Crookston, MN.
- It is strongly recommended that the student be able to read at the 6th grade level or higher.
- Pre-registration with payment is required. Students are accepted into the class on a first come first serve basis, until the class is full.
- Courses are scheduled as often as possible and are based on student demand. Students should plan to spend additional time aside from class, to review and study course material.
- $525 – which includes cost of course, class materials, and background study
- $160 – Competency Exam (*Optional- Students must apply separately)
What to Bring/Wear
- No. 2 pencils
- Scrubs are NOT required. Students are asked to wear loose fitting clothing with no dangling items.
- Name tags will be provided for your clinical experience.
- Debra Beland
- Adjunct Healthcare Instructor
- East Grand Forks
- (218) 793-2616
- Email Debra