Nursing Assistant/Home Health Aide Competency Exam
The NNAAP Examination is an evaluation of nursing assistant related knowledge, skills, and abilities. The NNAAP Examination is made up of both a Written (or Oral) Examination and a Skills Evaluation that are administered on the same day. The purpose of the NNAAP Examination is to make sure that you understand and can safely perform the job of an entry level nursing assistant. You must pass both parts in order to be certified and listed on the Minnesota Nursing Assistant Registry.
You are eligible to take the examinations for certification as a nursing assistant or nursing assistant/home health aide in Minnesota if you qualify under one of the following routes:
1. NA CANDIDATE
You have completed a state-approved nursing assistant training program. You must take the NA written and skills evaluation tests.
2. NA/HHA CANDIDATE
You have completed a state-approved nursing assistant/home health aide training program. You must take the NA/HHA written and skills evaluation tests.
3. TEST-OUT CANDIDATE (CHALLENGE)
You are a candidate who does not meet any of the other eligibility routes listed above. Examples are: 1) if you were trained in another country; 2) if you have not taken a nursing assistant program; 3) if you have not worked as a nursing assistant in the last two years; 4) if you are from another state and do not qualify for reciprocity in Minnesota; or 5) if you are a student nurse or graduate nurse candidate. You must take the NA written and skills evaluation tests.
The state competency exam is scheduled as needed on each campus. You should plan for a 4 to 8 hour day from start to finish including some waiting time.
Pre-registration with payment is required no later than one week prior to the test. Required pre-registration paperwork for testing can be emailed to you, mailed to you, or picked up in person at either campus within the nursing departments.
- Nursing Assistant & Test-Out Challengers - $160
- Nursing Assistant/Home Health Aide - $160
- Written Retake Test - $85
- Skills Retake Test - $95
What to Bring
- REQUIRED: 2 forms of identification or you WILL NOT be able to test. At least one ID must be a picture ID with a signature (e.g. Drivers license or Passport). The second ID, may be an ID with just name and signature on it (e.g. social security card or credit card with YOUR name and signature).
- Sharpened No. 2 pencils with an eraser
- We recommend wearing loose-fitting clothing for the Skills Evaluation portion of testing when you will be a patient for your partner. This clothing should allow for easy exposure of one arm, the underarm, and a foot.
- Debra Beland
- Adjunct Healthcare Instructor
- East Grand Forks
- (218) 793-2616
- Email Debra